July 25th, 1886
The first Methodist sermon was delivered by the Reverend Moses Anderson in a sod hotel.
A Missouri minister presented the next Methodist sermon to 13 people in the Hayes and Bales Livery Barn August 15th, 1886. From 1899-1893 Services were held in a school house by Reverend John Norveil, a circut rider. From 1888-1908 The Methodists in Laird met in homes and the new school with preachers from Haigler NE.
The first planned church was a sod building five miles southeast of Wray. All denominations worshiped in union in the newly built Presbyterian Church. April 23rd, 1899 - The Methodist Episcopal Sunday School was organized and elected. May 23rd, 1899 The Certificate of Incorporation of the First Methodist Episcopal Curch of Wray, CO was filed. June 29th, 1899 - The cornerstone was laid for the new Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1905 The Church purchased a reed pipe organ and Laird was retained as a preaching place served by the Wray pastor every two weeks. In 1908 The Laird Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated and The Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church was completed. In 1909 a Wray Sundy School addition fund was requested.
A new sanctuary addition and total remodeling project began. November 5th, 1949 fire destoryed the entire structure including the new organ, two pianos, choir robes, and range.
April 17th, 1950 the corner stone was laid and the rebuilding was started on the present building. The first services in the New Methodist Church were held December 31st, 1950. The formal dedication of the new church was held Feburary 11th, 1951. A new brick parsonage was built and consecrated December 11th, 1956.
The Vernon United Methodist Chruch merged with the Wray United Methodist Church on January 10th, 1971. The sanctuary featuring the stained glass cross was consecrated April 25th, 1971. A memorial featuring the bell from the Vernon Church was dedicated August 13th, 1972. September 7-8, 1974 Methodists from Laird, Vernon, Wray and neighboring communities celebrated 75 years of service.
The Laird bell rang in teh 100th Anniverasry of the Wray United Methodist Church.
The Wray United Methodist Church commissioned the handicap ramp addition to the church.